“Read it or Ditch it” is a new weekly feature I’ll be doing each Monday on the blog. The goal is to force myself into making a decision regarding some titles on my TBR pile. Each week I’ll select a book that has sat unread on my shelves for longer than a year and ask the question “Read it or Ditch it?”. If I still want to read it, then by posting it here I’m claiming that I’ll read it by the end of the year. If I’m no longer interested in the book, then this is a send off to the title since I’ll either be donating or selling it.
At the end of the year, I’ll do a round-up post to see how I did. If there are any titles that I said I’d read, but still didn’t, then I’ll either donate or sell those. Hopefully, doing this will help me reach my goal of only 100 books sitting unread on my TBR pile by the end of 2016.
Since we’re inching closer to the end of the year, I figured I should do a check-in on the status of my “Read it” and “Ditch it” selections.
In total, I’ve committed to reading 13 books on my TBR pile before the end of the year. From that list I’ve read 2 (yikes!). I obviously need to get rolling on these before I run out of time. Here’s the books I said I’d read (the titles that are in bold are the ones I’ve finished).
- Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
- Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson
- True Grit by Charles Portis
- Mudd in Your Eye by Jerry Oltion
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- Women Who Run with Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estes
- The Giant’s House by Elizabeth McCracken
- Murder Your Darlings by J.J. Murphy
- The Life and Loves of a She Devil by Fay Weldon
- About that Night by Julie James
- Games of Command by Linnea Sinclair
- The Automatic Detective by A. Lee Martinez
- The Art of Seducing a Naked Werewolf by Molly Harper
I’ve also managed to let 18 books on my TBR go, which is pretty good.
- Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
- The Lolita Effect by M. Gigi Durham
- More of This World or Maybe Another by Barb Johnson
- Rocky Mountain Heat by Vivian Arend
- Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri
- Glitter Baby by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
- The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery
- The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo
- American Gods by Neil Gaiman
- Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close
- Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
- Under the Black Flag by David Cordingly
- The Rest Falls Away by Colleen Gleason
- Stolen Songbird by Danielle L. Jensen
- The Serpent Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt
- Phantom by Susan Kay
- MacRieve by Kresley Cole